Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Two Great Recipes

My mom gave me a new cookbook for Christmas and I am loving having some new ideas. Thanks mom! Quite a few of my friends have recipes in the cookbook so it is extra fun to try them. We had two delicious dinners tonight and last night. We are calling it "Rumbold girl week" since both recipes are from two of my friends who also happen to be sisters :-) Jamie S., you are next! Here they are:

Mexican Chicken Penne (Mindy Anliker) *my kids really liked this one & they are a tough crowd*

1 pkg penne pasta
2c. chicken, cooked and cubed
1 1/2 c. salsa con queso dip
1/2 c. milk
1/4 t. salt
1 (15oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 lg. tomato, chopped
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (best if you use a brick of cheese and shred it yourself)

Cook pasta according to the package directions. Heat milk and salsa con queso separately in micro so each are hot. Then, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, salsa con queso dip, milk and salt. Drain pasta and add chicken mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Top with black beans, tomatoes, onions and cheese.




Crock-Pot Taco Soup ( Lisa Schwarz) *I love crock pot recipes for days when I am running errands*

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (15oz) can black beans with liquid
1 (15oz) can pinto beans with liquid
1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn with liquid
1 (15oz) can creamed corn
1 (28oz) can peeled & diced tomatoes
2 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 c. water
8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese (opt)
Fritos or tortilla chips (opt)
4 oz. sour cream (opt)

Brown ground beef and onion in skillet. Combine all ingredients, except optional ones, in crock-pot. Cook on low 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve with cheese, sour cream and chips.

9 comments:

Mindy said...

How fun! I'm so glad you liked my recipe! It is definately a favorite of ours!

Before I actually read your post I saw "My Mom gave me a new cookbook" and I glanced down to see what the recipes were and I was reading the ingredients and I thought "No way, I make this exact same recipe!" Then I actually read the post and realized it was my recipe. :) Hehe!

I've been using my new cookbook too! I made a Taco Casserole with crushed Doritos on top and Corn casserole using some of the corn I froze this fall. Both were yummy!

Also, Jamie is a great cook - I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever recipes she submitted too!

Happy cooking!

jessica leman said...

Sounds yummy! What cookbook are these from? I love a good (practical) cookbook!

Amber said...

Sounds like a mexican week! : )

Mindy, why haven't I heard about this one?! sounds yummy : )

Gracie's Mom said...

Number 2 sounds extra yummy, think I'll try that one tomorrow!

lisa schwarz said...

Jill-
you just made my day- so glad you were able to use the recipe! gotta love it when dinner practically makes itself :-)
Lisa

Jamie said...

Jill - That's funny! I read your post and was thinking - "My Mom gave me a cookbook for Christmas too, wonder which one Jill got!" Same one! I had forgotten which recipes I had put in there! Glad you are having fun with it!
Jamie

Gracie's Mom said...

Jill, hubby wanted me to get online right now and thank you for the Croc Taco Soup recipe. It was delicious!!! We had a severe cold front come through and after being out all day delivering mail this soup was just what he needed. Thanks again!

Barbra said...

I just enjoyed looking through your blog! Our families have a lot in common. I think we may have met one of your family members last night at Encounter Community in Mahomet, Il. My husband, brother-in-law and I shared there just a little bit about our adoption stories,etc.
We work with others over at www.knowntome.net in the quest to follow the Lord's call for the least of these. We have adopted two special needs kids from China (so far) and my sister and her husband whom we partner with for KnownToMe.net have adopted two older kids from Ethiopia! Love all you do with Lifesong! Thank you!!!

Jill said...

Jamie, what are your recipes? I don't think I have run across them yet.

Terrie, I am glad "hubby" liked the soup! I have thought about your family and the cold front. I am not sure your Texans are as tough as you think ! :-)

Barbra, it is neat to get to know you better through the 'blogsphere'! Do you have a blog? I wonder if you met my brother and sister in law, Steve and Danae? They live in Morton, have adopted from ET and Columbia and startd Gobena Coffee that is partnered with Lifesong (my husband works for Lifesong). We should meet soon since we live close! How special to hear of your families adoptions!

God bless!
Love,Jill