Friday, January 30, 2009

Petri Dish Perfectionism




Do you have some quirks that are just part of who you are?

I do.

I can be a bit of a perfectionist with life - especially things running in order, my house looking nice, my kids behavior...

So, Andy and I have had a running joke for the past few days....

This past week I was complaining about a messy house, a stinky van and other stains that come with four "ankle biters."

My patient hubby had heard enough and responded, "well, that is LIFE honey. What do you want to do, live in a petri dish?"

It made me laugh.

He is right. LIFE, in all it's wonder and joy, is a bit messy. I want to let go of the frustration I can feel in my "petri dish perfectionism" and enjoy the journey a little more...

...even if it mean living outside of the sterile petri dish :-)

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Jill, I so can relate! Sometimes, when I am playing with my kids, I will secretly be putting away all the toys in their correct spots. Just this week Ethan noticed what I had been doing and said he wanted to play that game...ha! So we played clean up and he thought it was great. And the stinky van...oh man...I am more scared to clean it some days just b/c I dont want to see what I will find!

Marie Stork said...

The perfect house lasted the first 4 years of marriage and then along came kids and I gave up. I just live to keep things tidy. Not spic and span. ;)

Janell said...

How true, Jill! After having four kids my hopes of living in a petri dish were crushed. :) It just wasn't possible anymore. I have let some things go and wish I could say I'm better for it. But, I'm still learning. :) Still letting go.... Thanks for the reminder and good perspective.

Anonymous said...

Oh for a Petri Dish now. With 3 down and 3 yet up. Right, Andy and Jill?

Amber said...

Welcome to blogland Jill - what fun!

Marla H. said...

I am like that too. You are not alone! Glad you've started blogging again. :)

Anonymous said...

Jill,

What have i stumbled upon!!? Is this a ...blog!? Gasp!

Just teasing! I love to read blogs, just know i'd never keep up with one if i had my own, so i live vicariously through others.

Good to talk to you today. I hope you got all the poop cleaned up! :)

love,
Deb

Kristy said...

That is too funny! I need to remember that more often. I get frustrated as well but it is just life with kids!

Andy said...

Too funny Deb! I have given into the "virtual vanity" as someone wise once said ;-)

It was GREAT to talk to you too!

Jill