Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sabbath Rest

I just heard a great program on Mid-day Connection about Sabbath Rest . I've heard the concept before, but have always felt a little strangled by it - like you need to have a 4 hour devotion with your family or just sit and be alone (both hard to come by with four kids). There are times when possibly both of these scenarios are appropriate, but consistently just drains my energy.

Mid-day interviewed author Keri Wyatt Kent about her book entitled "Rest." Some take-aways that I appreciated were:

For the author's family, Sabbath Rest begins by sundown on Saturday until sundown on Sunday. During that time, it is all about relationships with their kids, as spouses, with extended family or friends. She turns off their computer and is just available to play, talk and have fun. Many times they have friends or family over for a low-fuss dinner and to enjoy fellowship with one another. In the summer, they enjoy sailing as a family or hiking. Of course, worshipping together with their church family is a big part of Sabbath Rest too.

I feel like I can do that, I would ENJOY doing that! I think it will take intentionality to focus on relationships rather than tasks (I am a bit more oriented toward tasks) but I am excited to give it a try.

3 comments:

Tami said...

great thoughts and ideas...even for me who does have children! it's so easy to go to church, but then make the rest of the day like any other day...running errands, internet, or even just hanging out by myself. i liked the idea to focus on relationships intentionally. i could work on that more! thanks for the post, jilly bean. :)

by the way, thanks for the help on sunday! it was pretty out of control. :) you were TONS of help!!!

Tami said...

i meant to say, "that does NOT have children"...no worries. i don't have any secrets to share. :)

megs @ whadusay said...

I love this idea!